Wednesday, July 25, 2012

English and Dinner

Dear My Peeps, Lots of things have been happening in our area and I am super excited to tell you about them. First of all, we started an English class yesterday much to my delight. We had three less actives and one of our more elect investigators show up, among others. We taught basic introductions and how to pray in English. It went over well and I think the class will be even bigger next week. It was so strange speaking in English that it appeared unnatural and we stumbled over a couple words. But all good in my non-existent hood because I only have sweaters :) We also had dinner at the Relief Society President and Councilor in the Bishopric house with their family. The father, Fernando, and his daughter gave us a ride there after participating in the English class. When we showed up the first thing her brother said was Your clothes are completely outside of the standard! Elder Bryan and I were dying. Then when we were leaving, she asked her Dad if she could ride as well. That was the most resounding "no" I have heard in a while. We had a really special baptism this week. When we first arrived here we received a reference to start teaching the son of a member. He wanted nothing to do with us so we decided to reactivate his sister and teach her husband. The first visit was a little cold. He said he didn't think God existed because of all the suffering he saw in the world daily. His Dog had recently had to be put down and was very upset. So we taught the Plan of Salvation for animals. It was just what he needed! That, combined with an answer about the Book of Mormon, gave him the spiritual strength he needed. He was married on Saturday and excited for his baptism for about 3 weeks. I decided to re-read the Book of Mormon so I can testify with more power and I wanted to share a couple verses I found in the first thirty pages today. In 1 Nephi 1:12 it reads, And it came to pass that as he read, he was filled with the Spirit of the Lord. We too can receive the Holy Ghost through diligent scripture study. In 1 Nephi 3:7 it reads, And it came to pass that I, Nephi, said unto my father: I awill go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them. And in verse 15, it reads But behold I said unto them that: as the Lord liveth, and as we live, we will not go down unto our father in the wilderness until we have accomplished the thing which the Lord hath commanded us. Some people of been joking with me about Hump Day that is coming, or one year in the mission field, but I cannot lose focus or let up. As long as I live, I will not go to my father, and everyone else, until I have the accomplished the mission the Lord has commanded me. I know he will prepare the way so I might be happy and baptize flocks of people. I love you all so much. Come on really, Elder Healy

No comments:

Post a Comment