Monday, October 15, 2012

Hotels and Happiness

Dear My Wonderful Reader, I thank you so much for dedication in following my humble mission here in Campinas, Brasil. Much has changed in this last week that I just cannot wait to tell you about! So let´s dive right on in! A week ago we found out that Elder Bryan would be transferred and that I would be staying here for at least 6 more weeks in Sousas. When I first heard this I was of mixed emotions. I knew that the work this next transfer would be harder as we had already hit the majority of the doors in the area, and I was selfishly afraid this would negatively affect my repetion here among the members. But I had prayed beforehand asking for humility to do go and do what I commanded and so was able to accept the decision with ease. Monday also happened to be my birthday and was able to make funfetti cake with funfetti frosting! Thanks Mom! It was just a whole bunch of fun and diabetes. Elder Bryan and I then played some ping pong at the church with one of the youth from the ward and ate bunch of ice cream. We then went to work. We stopped by one of recent convert´s house and another investigator, but they didn´t answer so we rushed to another recent convert´s house who said that her son wanted to talk us. Turns out that was a lie and that several of our recent converts threw me a surprise birthday party. It was really touching of them. Especially when one of the people I baptized shoved cake in my face. But then another person helped me to return the favor so it was all good. I have to say it was absolutely delicious. They all thought it was funny when I was scraping it off and eating it. I thought it was cake and frosting. I received a big old box of fancy chocolates and a tie from the relief society president. We had another appointment that night so we had to announce that Elder Bryan would be leaving the area. Definite buzz kill. One of our recent converts is a lady of about 55 years and went in to give Elder Bryan a surprise hug. Too bad he is ninja fast and just stiff-armed, back-stepped her. He apologized explaining he couldn´t. I just thought it was funny. We got up early the next day to go to transfers which is pretty much a giant mess at the bus station where missionaries seem to slack off for hours on end. Saying goodbye to Elder Bryan was sad. We had been within sight and sound of each other for more than 4 months! Later that day, I met my new companion, a missionary from the Green Cape in Africa who had only 19 days in the field. He is a really special guy who has a humble will to serve and learn. He also has the strongest legs ever and can outrun a horse. So that made my self esteem nose dive a bit :P I have been practicing with him quite a bit to bring his techniques up to par. On a side note, we got to stay in a freaking hotel! The training took two days with him so I had the best nights sleep and shower in over a year! It was simply amazing. We had a miracle this week when an investigator finally went to church after a month of work. Hopefully she is baptized Sunday! Prophet Joseph Smith: "Happiness is the object and design of our existence, and will also be the end thereof, if we pursue the path that leads to it, and this path is virtue, uprightness, faithfulness, holiness, and keeping all the commandments of God. But we can not keep all the commandments, if we do not know them, nor know them all, or know more than we know, unless we keep or fulfill what we have already received. " Come on really, Elder Healy

No comments:

Post a Comment