Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Its The Final Countdown... Da Da Doo Doo, Da Da Dah Da Doo

My Beloved Family and Friends,

My time at the MTC is quickly coming to an end. This time next week I will have a new companion, a new home, a new bed, and a million new things to experience. I am so excited and so nervous at the same time. I feel like there is still so much more gospel for me to learn and so much Portuguese to practice before I can really give a lesson that an earnest investigator deserves. But, there is no point in dwelling on my inadequacies for my calling when the day to do is quickly approaching. I do not mean to scare you or worry you, I am ready. I would just prefer to be MORE ready. But, I will probably feel that way for the rest of my mission and the rest of my life.

This last week was wonderful and stressful. I had so many great experiences and have again learned so much about myself and about others. I have continued to set goals for me to reach. Sometimes I am successful and sometimes I am not. And it is from the lack of success and strive for the best that brings me the stress. But as one of the many books that we have been given here at the MTC says, Stress + Rest = Growth. This week as I said before, was wonderful. Last Tuesday night I had a pizza party courtesy of my parents back at home and me and my companions just hung out in our room and got to know each other better. It was very therapeutic and delicious. Thank you so much. On Wednesday, I forgot my name tag on my other shirt and so we had to go up and down four flights of stairs to retrieve it. I felt so bad! On Thursday, our teaching practice was canceled and the computer labs were closed so I got to study for three hours straight. It was a nice change of pace. Also, we talked about teaching about Adam and Eve and I got really frustrated because I could not figure out why the story had to happen the way it did. I eventually had to be content with Gods ways are higher than your ways, but I will probably revisit that topic this week to see if I can bring peace of mind. On Friday, I had a long argument at dinner why I though Cyclops was a silly super hero and about whether Wolverine could beat him :). On Saturday, I realized that reading the D&C goes much faster than reading the Book of Mormon because the pages have lest words and verses are often repeated between sections. On Sunday, we heard from President Tanner, the president of the Sao Paulo Mission. His wife is the President of the whole Young Women Organization, power couple right? Anyways, during his speech, he was not content with how the translator was translating so he decided he would translate himself. This led him to repeat several things, and get confused and it was kind of funny. He finally let the translator do it again, but would accidentally do it without thinking. After the talk, we had snack and when I put on my coat, the collar almost always automatically pops. I didn’t notice until the Sisters pointed it out as they were laughing at me. So we decided to all pop our collars and we looked like fools while we were eating our late night cake :D. On Monday, we had our first opportunity to proselyte. I was really nervous at the start and did not want to talk to anyone. But we saw a teacher and practiced on him to break the ice. The first Book of Mormon we placed was in English because the man was a professional. He had a friend who also used to be a missionary. We ended up placing all six Book of Mormons in about one and a half hours.

If any of you reading this are questioning your testimony or do not have a testimony, I invite you to read the Book of Mormon cover to cover and o Moroni’s advice and pray and ask god for an answer. You too can receive the witness that I did, that this truly is the true church and this work really can change people. I love you all so much and can´t wait to begin serving. I do not know when I will be able to write again.

Love,
Elder Healy

No comments:

Post a Comment